I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, because I was looking for something to make with broccoli and cheese and whipping cream (which I randomly had). I thought maybe I would find a recipe for soup, but no, I found these, which have quickly become a family favorite! (You can find a picture of these if you search for them at allrecipes.com)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (I just use a little less amount of yellow onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley ( I use dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie ( I make my own-recipe follows)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream (Use if you have it or otherwise omit it)
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket over 1 in. of boiling water in a saucepan. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain well. In a bowl, combine the broccoli, cheese, ham, onions, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry; cut each in half. Place 1-1/2 cups of the filling on one side of each half; flatten filling with a spoon. Combine the egg and cream; brush some over pastry edges. Fold pastry over filling. Seal edges and prick tops with a fork. Place on a baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
2 C. flour 2/3 C shorting
1/2 tsp. salt 6-7 T. cold water
1. Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl
2. Cut in shorting with a pastry blender or two butter knives until rice-like
3. Sprinkle water 1 T. at a time over flour. Toss with a fork, and press to the side of the bowl. Repeat until all is moistened.
4. Divide dough in half, and form 2 balls, and for the turnovers, divide in half again so you have 4 balls.