Thursday, June 5, 2008

Welcome to IHOP!

24-Hour Breakfast
Serves 12

12 slices bread, cubed
1/2 pound (2 cups) cheese, grated, divided
2 to 3 cups ham or sausage, cooked, cubed
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter melted

Grease a 9x13" baking dish. Place half of bread cubes on bottom. Cover with half of the cheese and ham or sausage. Repeat layers. In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, and salt. Pour over casserole and drizzle with melted butter; refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 1 hour 15 minutes.

~~~~

This is such a great recipe to use up almost-stale bread and older eggs! I always half this recipe, though, except for the cheese :) !!! It is so good! When I half it, I use a 8x8" pan and bake it for 30-40 minutes. Also, when I make this, it's always for dinner, so don't let the title limit your meal options. Because of this dinner meal, I have never refrigerated it overnight. It makes enough for me and my husband for dinner and a meal for the next day, whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner. Welcome to IHOP!

No comments: